Sunday, November 8, 2009

Pregnant and travelling



When we first bought the tickets, I was not pregnant, nor were we planning well at least till next year. Then when I got pregnant, everyone was worried about my trip…especially with H1N1, miscarriage and other complication.


After reading and consulting my doctor, she told me it was safe to travel in the second trimester and better to stay off travelling during 1st trimester and 3rd. Lucky for me I have entered my 2nd trimester. 
 Health preparation before flying:   
  1. Drink a lot of water. 
  2. Try to stay away from crowds. If must, wear a mask unless you feel there’s no need to.
  3. Watch the food that you take. – I had diarrhea throughout my first trimester. I tried to monitoring and realize I couldn’t take carbonated drinks like coke (yes, it’s not good to begin with but I have that craving-unlike my first pregnancy. I could eat anything!), spicy food, salt and vinegar chips. 
  4. Rest when you feel like resting. A short nap during noon is good to boost some energy later. 
Will I be taking shots against H1N1? Apparently not. I have been having flu like symptoms so far every few days. Doctors says its just part of my pregnancy. I think the best way is just to wear a mask at the airport, eat healthily, drink loads of fluids and rest. I don’t think it’s necessary.Make sure you are fever free and flu free on that day. I am trying hard to not get any fever…which I haven’t got besides the runny nose and sneezing throughout the pregnancy. You wouldn’t want to get quarantine in a foreign country- if possible.  
Travel food reminder Stick to food that you are use to. Yes, of course you like to be adventurous, maybe a bite won’t hurt. But try hard to keep away from unfamiliar food as you don’t want to get tummy ache (+ being pregnant) during travel. Medication Since I had a bad runny nose and sneeze, I dropped by at the pharmacist and check out what are the medications I can take for it. Make sure you tell what you have and what you don’t (In my case no fever or cough).*The pharmacist gave me an otc medication which only cost RM4.40. it suppose to make the runny nose and sneezing stop-eat 3 times a day with drowsiness as side effect.(I later ate them after lunch and slept for 2 hours!). Note: Although taking medication is not recommended, but I think if you been sick too long or experiencing flu, headache for too much you should be able to help you burden off the feelings.  Please remember to consult your doctor's first!





        0 comments:

        Post a Comment